Building for FPV use.
Painted a dogfighter, a hellcat and a millennium master plane. Just for something different:
These are some shots of the Multiplex Dogfighter Kit.
Overall the build is simple, but I have to say I don’t care for building a store bought plane. Following someone elses vision is rather boring overall, and I found myself not putting the effort into the kit I should.
Oh Well, motor, that I thought was a true outrunner, did not have the top mount capability. When I glanced at it, I mistook the prop mount adaptor holes for a true outrunner. Rather than wait for the correct motor, I mounted a 1100 36series to the external face. Of course, this is a 5 mm shaft, which means the spinner that comes with the kit cant be used, and the motor sits outside the fuse, detracting from the look.
Was surprised to see screws with a Standard screwdriver head, what the heck, that’s a PIA! Did not care for the motor mount design, nor the thin foam at face of fuse. CG was achieved with battery very far forward, but not an issue at all. Gluing in the spars was annoying as hell.
So, with all that, I still like the look of the plane, and if it flies as good as the one I flew this morn, it will be time well spent!
Gluing the fuse together:
Since both the full size and mini Gremlins fly like a dream, I could not leave well enough alone and decided to build a very slightly different one.
For this one, I increased the wing span to 34″, and used symmetrical airfoils from the corsair build, hot cutting them to have a slight upturn at the TE of the outside airfoil. Supposedly this helps a wing design offset the natural tendency to track downward….
This slight upturn is only 1/2″ and is difficult to see from the photos, but does give the span of the wing a slightly different angle tip to tip.
And of course, speed is always an issue! The earlier mini gremlin uses a 1400kv motor, and while quite respectable, I’m curious what kind of control I would have with a faster gremlin.
So, this build has a 2200kv motor, swinging a 7×5 prop…..
Well, WTF 3 was a complete disaster. It was a clark airfoil and it looks as if I set the wing incidence too high. This resulted in its complete destruction on maiden!
Introducing the WTF 4 – This one I’ve gone back to the sipkil airfoil, mid mounted, at 40″ span. Slight changes to the rudder and elevator to help overall balance.
This one had to be designed while it was being built, as a motor from the Durafly Tundra is powering this one. I chose this motor as its base design is to use a 12×6 prop. It is much heavier than other 28 series motors I have tried, but accounting for this during the build/design stage ensured CG @ 1/4 was easily achievable. As typical for this design, a 3s 2200 lipo powers the plane.
The wing is hotwired from expanded foam, body is built from the 6mm grey depron (much less ridged than the white depron!) and tail section from 9mm depron.
May it fly as well as the WTF 2.
I’m not really certain what this WTF is modelled after. I started with a slostick measurement, reset size based on a twist, then a mojo40, and then eyeballed a NACA 6412 airfoil for best strength/size combo based on a 2826 1100kv motor I had.
I think it will fly, but have ordered larger motors, in the 36 range. As it sits today, the 1100kv mtr is set up with an 11×8 Prop, balanced to accept a 3s2200 battery with a 40a ESC. Full throttle seems to pull enough that I think it will lift off, but unlikely to be fast.
The airfoil is almost 2″ think at the widest, so the intent is to use it as a slowflyer. Wingspan is 40″ and cord is 10″.
Time will tell…
And for you nuts that want to know how heavy, without a battery, 502g.
Rendition of the rcfoamfighters Nova Jet.
2800kv Super megajet motor from Greyson with 40a esc and 3s2200 battery.
Left out thrust plate, shortened fins, changed canopy, shortened nose.
Not a lot of time put into this, as no clue if it will fly!
Maiden will tell all!
Made from silver backed 1″ foam (8×4 sheet from HD)
Silver backing left on for strength
Green coating on opposite side, left on and covered with wing tape
Kit from Alien Aircraft. Various pics of the build: