Building for FPV use.
Have not been keeping this website as current as I should, rather, have been posting Videos. Following is some of the things Ive been building over this winter:
Have not been posting here in a while, weather is changing and not as many opportunities to fly, so don’t do as much building when I cant maiden (crash) the creations.
Here are a few over the last few weeks:
My rendition of the Balsa Plan called the wot4 or watt4. Scaled the drawing down to 45%. High wing but fully symmetrical so wanted to see what it can do. No rudder servo, 1540kv motor, 7×5 prop.
FrankenPlane: Wings are from a smashed Katana, elevator from a smashed Bravado, fuse and tail hot cut foam. Powered by a 36series 1500kv motor, should be interesting to see if it will fly!
Profile plane, modelled after the electrifly 300 – this flew very well!
Painted a dogfighter, a hellcat and a millennium master plane. Just for something different:
Have been having so much fun with the gremlins & wings, as fun to fly no stress scratchbuilds, that its time to build wings for Combat.
First they have to be Cheap to make, and take little time to build since the expectation is they will be crashed in short order!
I started looking at A. Newtons site, where he hot cuts wings based on the FT mini wing plan. Well, the LAR principle kicked in as I started copying his template, and it just did not:
Look About Right!
I wanted a wing with the CG easier to meet, based on some ZRM motors I have from an old quad, a 3s 1300 pack and enough reinforcement to keep these wings together for a while….
My template, when the LAR principle kicked in, has a wing span of 735mm, Root chord of 315, Tip chord of 163 and a sweep of 234mm. All this translates to a calculated CG of 145mm.
More to come as I add motors, corroplast fins, etc!
Finished – coroplast winglets, 2300kv swinging 6×4 prop with blheli matched esc’s.
Ok, so I started with the plans from an old balsa FSW called the spintastic…. It was forward swept with a profile fuse and a rudder. This is an exceptionally odd design so thought I would try it.
However, once I had the wing built I noticed an old HK pitts biplane that I had badly smashed many months ago…
It had a partly intact fuse, no wings, busted elevator, and crushed motor shaft, and really should have just been scrapped.
Being over tired, using this pitts with the spintastic wing seemed like an awesome idea!
Sooo, I cut the fuse apart to take the FSW at midpoint, repaired the motor mount, elevator etc, and glued it all together!
I really need to stop building planes late at night!
Building the wing from 2″ pink insulation:
Gluing it all into one and using packing tape rather than laminate:
After totally destroying a multiplex funjet, I used what was left of it to take measurements.
The hardest part of this build was creating and hot cutting the wings. Each wing is built by using symmetrical airfoils that scale down in both cord and thickness as they move toward the wing tip.
Once glued, a carbon spar was laid in for strength. The fuse is simple, just 2″ foam block hot wired to shape. As this foam will not take an impact, I heated a steel rod, and drove it perfectly center down the length of the fuse. This permitted the insertion of a square carbon fiber rod, that will hopefully keep the fuse from breaking on a nose impact.
Power system is currently a Greyson super megajet motor, 6×4 prop and a 40 amp esc.
Maiden will be interesting!
Hot Wire Cut Wings:
Glue up of the wings:
Adding the Spar:
Since the destruction of planes seems to have become common these last few trips to the field, I have an abundance of left over pieces from smashed planes….
The three contraptions below consist of parts from the following planes I have crashed….
Will they Fly????
Check out the Video of these:
Since both the full size and mini Gremlins fly like a dream, I could not leave well enough alone and decided to build a very slightly different one.
For this one, I increased the wing span to 34″, and used symmetrical airfoils from the corsair build, hot cutting them to have a slight upturn at the TE of the outside airfoil. Supposedly this helps a wing design offset the natural tendency to track downward….
This slight upturn is only 1/2″ and is difficult to see from the photos, but does give the span of the wing a slightly different angle tip to tip.
And of course, speed is always an issue! The earlier mini gremlin uses a 1400kv motor, and while quite respectable, I’m curious what kind of control I would have with a faster gremlin.
So, this build has a 2200kv motor, swinging a 7×5 prop…..
I have many motors from the quad days, and decided to build something to see if I can make use of some of them. To start, I have used the original DJI 950kv motors that were used from 8″ to 10″ Started with a hot cut wing, 48″ in length, but only a cord of 8″.
Noticed the ft cruiser is close to what I want for body and wing look, so borrowing heavily from that design.