For the last few weeks I have been totally engrossed with Flying Wings, and have built at least a dozen.
I have been trying different airfoils, from clarkY to fully symmetrical, and have decided the most stable is the ‘clark’ series.
Have tried different designs, sizes and motor changes, all the way up to an 11″ prop on a 800mm wing. As I like fast wings, the ideal setup for me is a 2200kv, with a 3s 2200 Lipo – a bit heavy for fast elevation changes, but overall fun if you don’t mind crashing into the ground once a day!
Here is a picture of my latest design – hot cut clarkZ airfoil, from dense thick foam, covered in 5mm laminate them wing tape for color. Driven by a 2200 kv & a 6×4 prop, this is my favorite over all design.
As well, the Videos linked below contain some shots of other wings I have built and crashed.
Have been having so much fun with the gremlins & wings, as fun to fly no stress scratchbuilds, that its time to build wings for Combat.
First they have to be Cheap to make, and take little time to build since the expectation is they will be crashed in short order!
I started looking at A. Newtons site, where he hot cuts wings based on the FT mini wing plan. Well, the LAR principle kicked in as I started copying his template, and it just did not:
Look About Right!
I wanted a wing with the CG easier to meet, based on some ZRM motors I have from an old quad, a 3s 1300 pack and enough reinforcement to keep these wings together for a while….
My template, when the LAR principle kicked in, has a wing span of 735mm, Root chord of 315, Tip chord of 163 and a sweep of 234mm. All this translates to a calculated CG of 145mm.
More to come as I add motors, corroplast fins, etc!
After totally destroying a multiplex funjet, I used what was left of it to take measurements.
The hardest part of this build was creating and hot cutting the wings. Each wing is built by using symmetrical airfoils that scale down in both cord and thickness as they move toward the wing tip.
Once glued, a carbon spar was laid in for strength. The fuse is simple, just 2″ foam block hot wired to shape. As this foam will not take an impact, I heated a steel rod, and drove it perfectly center down the length of the fuse. This permitted the insertion of a square carbon fiber rod, that will hopefully keep the fuse from breaking on a nose impact.
Power system is currently a Greyson super megajet motor, 6×4 prop and a 40 amp esc.
These are some shots of the Multiplex Dogfighter Kit.
Overall the build is simple, but I have to say I don’t care for building a store bought plane. Following someone elses vision is rather boring overall, and I found myself not putting the effort into the kit I should.
Oh Well, motor, that I thought was a true outrunner, did not have the top mount capability. When I glanced at it, I mistook the prop mount adaptor holes for a true outrunner. Rather than wait for the correct motor, I mounted a 1100 36series to the external face. Of course, this is a 5 mm shaft, which means the spinner that comes with the kit cant be used, and the motor sits outside the fuse, detracting from the look.
Was surprised to see screws with a Standard screwdriver head, what the heck, that’s a PIA! Did not care for the motor mount design, nor the thin foam at face of fuse. CG was achieved with battery very far forward, but not an issue at all. Gluing in the spars was annoying as hell.
So, with all that, I still like the look of the plane, and if it flies as good as the one I flew this morn, it will be time well spent!
Since both the full size and mini Gremlins fly like a dream, I could not leave well enough alone and decided to build a very slightly different one.
For this one, I increased the wing span to 34″, and used symmetrical airfoils from the corsair build, hot cutting them to have a slight upturn at the TE of the outside airfoil. Supposedly this helps a wing design offset the natural tendency to track downward….
This slight upturn is only 1/2″ and is difficult to see from the photos, but does give the span of the wing a slightly different angle tip to tip.
And of course, speed is always an issue! The earlier mini gremlin uses a 1400kv motor, and while quite respectable, I’m curious what kind of control I would have with a faster gremlin.
So, this build has a 2200kv motor, swinging a 7×5 prop…..